by Noah Scalin
Many companies have successful waste reduction programs. Border Waste Wi$ e wants to share the success of these companies and show how they can even accomplish more with our assistance.
Hasbro Manufacturing Services, Juguetrenes, S.A. DE C.V., Plant 1, located in the maquiladora sector of the city of Tijuana, Mexico has initiated a number of successful waste reduction activities. The plant operates with 1,900 employees for the molding, assembly, packaging, and shipping of plastic toy parts and toys. Examples of Hasbro’s accomplishments include the following:
- A large program is in place at Juguetrenes to bale and recycle cardboard and linerboard packaging materials.
- Jugutrenes regrinds waste plastics onsite to sell to recyclers. The injection molding department has invested resources in classifying, regrinding, and selling plastic wastes, and as a result, they have saved $ 230,000 per year.
- Juguetrenes has been operating a pallet rebuilding area to reduce the number of wood pallets used at the facility and reduce the quantity of waste pallets to be disposed of as a solid waste. All repairable pallets are rebuilt and reused by the facility.
- Expired fluorescent light tubes from the plant are recycled through a San Diego facility. As a result, $ 300 to $ 400 per year is generated in recycling revenue.
- Border Waste Wi$ e conducted a solid waste reduction assessment at the Juguetrenes facility in April of 1996. As a result of this assessment, the Border Wate Wi$ e team made several recommendations for how Juguetrenes can improve their operations to reduce wastes and save money. Juguetrenes plans to explore these options for establishing waste reduction goals in 1997.
Copied from SQLJ » Recycling Articles